Charmain Bogue | Mentorship Is Advice. Sponsorship Is Risk

 

Charmain Bogue review papers

Women are drowning in one and starving for the other, and the difference explains more than we admit.

Somewhere along the way, corporate America decided the answer to women’s stalled advancement was conversation. Mentoring programs multiplied. Coffee chats got matched by algorithm. Advice flowed in industrial quantities. And the leadership numbers moved a fraction of what anyone projected.

I mentor women across career stages, from returners rebuilding after a break to executives I coach, and I believe in that work completely. But I have stopped pretending mentorship alone moves careers. Careers move when someone with power spends some of it on your behalf, and that is a different transaction entirely.

The distinction nobody writes down

Mentorship happens in private. Sponsorship happens in rooms you are not in. A mentor helps you rehearse for the promotion conversation. A sponsor is inside the calibration meeting saying “she’s ready, and I’ll vouch for her” while you are somewhere else entirely, unaware your name came up.

Notice what the sponsor is doing: spending reputation. If you stumble, the sponsor absorbs some of the damage. That is why sponsorship is rare and mentorship is plentiful. Advice costs an hour. Advocacy costs skin.

I learned the difference by watching careers, including moments in my own. The years when things moved were never the years I collected the most advice. They were the years someone said my name in a room I had never entered. Most women can point to the same pattern once they know to look for it.

Why women get the cheaper product

The research on this is consistent, and my own observation matches it: women are over-mentored and under-sponsored relative to men. The reasons are mundane rather than sinister. Sponsorship grows out of comfort and similarity. Senior leaders, still mostly men, instinctively bet on people who remind them of younger versions of themselves.

There’s a feedback loop, too. Sponsors bet on people whose risks they’ve watched up close, the stretch assignment, the visible crisis handled well. If women get handed fewer visible risks, they generate fewer of the proof points sponsorship feeds on. The deficit compounds quietly, and then we hold a panel about confidence.

None of this requires villains, which is what makes it durable. A system where every individual acts reasonably can still price women’s potential lower. That is exactly why it will not fix itself, and why waiting for organic change has produced such a thin harvest.

What I tell the women I work with

First: identify your actual portfolio. Most women, asked to list their supporters, name people who like them. Liking is lovely and inert. The question is who has spent capital on you, put your name forward when it was contested, defended your work in your absence. If the answer is no one, you have fans, not sponsors, and you should know that before the next promotion cycle, not after.

Second: sponsors are earned through visible, useful risk. Volunteer for the project with a real failure mode. Be excellent where decision-makers can see it. You cannot ask someone to spend reputation on you; you can make the bet look smart.

Third, and this one is for women who have already arrived: you are someone’s potential sponsor right now. The question is whether you are spending your capital or just having encouraging coffees. I hold myself to this. Mentoring conversations are where I give what I know. Sponsorship moments, the phone call, the name pushed forward, the public defense, are where I give what I have.

A note on how this feels from the inside, because nobody warns you. Spending capital on someone is frightening in a way giving advice never is. The first time I staked my credibility on a recommendation, I rehearsed the sentence. That fear is the proof you are doing the real thing. If your support for other women has never once felt risky, it has probably never once been sponsorship.

Programs cannot mandate courage

Organizations keep trying to formalize sponsorship, and the programs mostly produce mentorship with a new logo. You can assign a meeting. You cannot assign conviction. What organizations can do is expose senior leaders to talent they would not naturally encounter, hand women the visible assignments that make betting on them rational, and then track who actually advocates when doors close.

The rest comes down to individuals deciding to spend power on someone other than their own reflection. Advice is what we give when we want to help. Risk is what we take when we mean it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charmain Bogue | Why I Narrowed My Practice to Executive Coaching