Charmain Bogue | My Calendar Tells the Truth Even When I Do Not

 

Charmain Bogue outside chatting

A busy professional's schedule is the most honest document they own.

Ask me my priorities and I will give you a beautiful answer. Family first. Health. Deep work over busywork. Mentoring the next generation. I believe every word of it while saying it.

Then there is my calendar, which does not care what I believe. It records what I actually chose, hour by hour, and for years it told a different story than the one I was narrating. As a wife, a mother of two girls, and a professional with a full practice, I have learned to treat the calendar as evidence and my own narration as marketing.

The audit I didn't want to run

The first time I audited my own weeks honestly, I used the same method I would use on any organization. Not what does the strategy say: where does the money go? For a person, time is the money. I went back eight weeks and categorized the hours.

The findings were uncomfortable. "Family first" was funding family with leftovers, the depleted hours after everything else took its cut. Things I claimed mattered enormously appeared nowhere. Meanwhile, obligations I could not even defend, recurring meetings with no decisions, commitments accepted to avoid a ten-second awkward conversation, owned prime real estate. I would never let a client organization operate this way.

The worst category was what I started calling ghost commitments: things I kept doing only because I had once said yes and nobody, including me, had reexamined the decision since. Every life accumulates these. They are the subscription charges of the calendar, renewing silently, billing in hours.

Guilt is not data

I want to be careful here, because the standard advice is to manage the feeling. Breathe. Forgive yourself. Sometimes that is right. Guilt often lies, and a feeling is not a finding.

But sometimes guilt is your internal auditor flagging a real variance between stated and actual priorities. The skill is telling the two apart, and the calendar is how. Missing bedtime twice this month because of two genuine emergencies is noise; feeling guilty about it is the lie. Missing it eleven times because other people's routine requests outrank your own stated priorities is signal. The feeling was the same. The data was not.

Defending hours like budget lines

What changed my weeks was not better time management. It was treating certain hours the way a disciplined CFO treats protected budget lines: spendable only on what they were appropriated for, and defended at the door.

School pickup on my days is a meeting with two stakeholders who notice cancellations. It moves for fevers and true emergencies, not for "any chance you're free Thursday at 3?" The recurring block for my own thinking is the same. The first few times you hold a line like that, it feels rude. Then people adjust, the way they adjust to any real constraint, and you discover most "urgent" requests were just first drafts.

A practical note for anyone trying this: the protected hours have to be visible. A secret boundary is just a private disappointment waiting to happen. Mine sit on the calendar where colleagues can see them, labeled plainly, because a constraint people can plan around is a constraint they will respect.

The version worth modeling

Here is what finally made this stick for me, and it was not efficiency. My daughters are watching how a working woman runs a life. If what they observe is a mother whose time belongs to whoever asks loudest, that is the operating manual they inherit. No speech about boundaries will outrun that demonstration.

So the calendar became a values document in both directions: it reveals what I actually choose, and it teaches two girls what choosing looks like. I still drift. Every few months the audit finds some weed that grew back. But I no longer argue with the evidence.

If you try only one thing from this piece, try the eight-week look-back. One evening, one highlighter, total honesty about where the hours went. It will sting. Mine did. The sting is the beginning of every schedule that finally matches the speech. If you want to know what someone's priorities are, don't ask. Look at the calendar. Then have the nerve to fix it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charmain Bogue | Why I Narrowed My Practice to Executive Coaching