Charmain Bogue | What Happened When I Went Back to the Public Sector

Charmain Bogue working on her computer


Returning was not a step backward. It was the most clarifying thing I did for my sense of professional identity.

When I moved from independent consulting back into a public sector role, I got a version of the same question from a surprising number of people: why would you go back? The implication was that leaving government and building an independent practice was the arc, and returning was a reversal of it.

That framing missed something I had spent three years learning.

What the independent years gave me

Working on my own for several years changed how I see organizations from the inside. When you advise an organization, you see the whole system more clearly than when you are embedded in it. You notice the places where the stated strategy and the actual decisions diverge. You see how much of an organization's culture is invisible to the people inside it. You learn, quickly, to ask the questions that insiders have stopped asking because the answers became too uncomfortable.

I carried all of that back in with me. And it turns out that a person who has spent years diagnosing organizational problems from the outside, and who then returns to work inside an organization, brings a different quality of attention to the daily work. Not better judgment in every case, but a trained eye for the gaps that organizations normalize.

What the return clarified

Going back answered a question I had not fully articulated to myself: whether my commitment was to the work or to a particular form of doing it. I had spent three years building a practice that was mine in every sense, the clients, the method, the schedule. Returning meant releasing a lot of that autonomy. And I found, to my genuine surprise, that I did not miss it the way I expected to.

What I had valued in the independent years was the quality of the thinking, the depth of the work, and the sense of doing something that mattered. That was available inside a public sector organization too, maybe even more available because the scale was larger and the accountability was broader. The form I had been protecting turned out to be less essential than I thought.

What I would tell anyone considering a similar move

The professional narrative in most fields runs in one direction: you grow, you advance, you take on more autonomy. Going back into a structured organization after years on your own can read as a failure of that narrative. I think the more useful frame is whether the work you are doing is the work you are built for, and whether you are doing it with people and toward ends that are worth the effort. Those questions do not have a preferred answer. They have an honest one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charmain Bogue | Why I Narrowed My Practice to Executive Coaching