Charmain Bogue | Why I Think Women Get Promoted for the Wrong Reasons

Charmain Bogue in the office


We are tapping women to fix what men broke, then calling it opportunity.

There is a pattern in how organizations handle succession that I have watched long enough to name directly. When something is going well, the candidates considered for the top role are almost always men. When something is going badly, when the board is frustrated, when a program is underperforming, when the organization needs someone to walk into a mess and clean it up, suddenly the women are being mentioned.

This is not a pipeline problem. It is a risk assignment problem. And it should not be celebrated as progress.

What the research keeps finding

There is a body of organizational research on what is called the glass cliff, the phenomenon where women are more likely to be appointed to leadership positions during organizational crises or in situations of high risk. The theory is that boards and selection committees, consciously or not, are more comfortable placing women in situations where failure is already built into the circumstances. If the thing fails, well, she did not have what it took. If it succeeds, it was a harder job than anyone expected.

I have seen this play out enough times in person that the research feels like description rather than revelation. A woman gets appointed to lead a struggling division, a failing program, a board in turmoil. She works herself to exhaustion, stabilizes the situation, sometimes genuinely turns it around. She then gets passed over for the next senior promotion in favor of a man who had the benefit of inheriting a stable operation and delivering predictable results.

What I tell the women who are handed these opportunities

I do not tell them to decline. The work is real and the skill-building is real and sometimes the role becomes a genuine platform. What I tell them is to go in with their eyes open about what they are inheriting, to negotiate the resources and timeline and support that the job actually requires, and to document the starting conditions so that the turnaround, if there is one, cannot be erased or attributed to the conditions improving on their own.

I also tell them to name, to themselves and to the people making the offer, what they are walking into. A woman who accepts a broken role without acknowledging that it is broken has already let the organization off the hook for the circumstances.

The broader problem

Organizations that only surface women in crisis moments are not building cultures of inclusion. They are outsourcing risk management to the candidates they consider most dispensable. Progress looks like women getting appointed to lead clean, well-resourced, high-visibility opportunities on equal terms with men. Until that is happening routinely, the appointments in the hard moments deserve scrutiny, not just celebration.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charmain Bogue | Why I Narrowed My Practice to Executive Coaching